Saturday, June 13, 2009
A Bit of Club History: Part II
In 1941, America joined WWII and California Yacht Club's facilities, in Wilmington, CA, were taken over by the U.S. Coast Guard. As the war continued, CYC members continued to fly the clubs burgee, but when the war ended the club's facilities were too rundown to use.
As members began looking for a new venue, they were increasingly encouraged with the development of Marina del Rey, one of the nations largest man made harbors. They reactivated the club in 1961. "Fritz" Overton, who acted as the clubs commodore back in 1923, was reelected as the first commodore of CYC's new era. 100 club members were recorded in the first year.
On September 22, 1963, the club moved into new quarters at the Sheraton Marina del Rey Hotel. A full schedule of events was established including the Sunset Series - the largest continual sailboat regatta in the world, which continues to this day.
On October 1, 1966, CYC saw the great move to the exciting and beautiful new clubhouse. An armada of the club's fleet moved into the 230 slips at the present site at the head of Marina del Rey's main channel. The Completed new facilities were formally dedicated on June 10, 1967.
Today we have several programs and internal organizations that continue to expand our club's impressive history. From our Junior Program, Epicurean Society and Women's Association which have been around for years, to our newer "Bookmates" book club and "At the Helm" business dinner.